Other Information

Applying for a Public Defender

Some individuals may qualify for a City Public Defender to represent them in a criminal (misdemeanor) matter.  If you wish to apply for public defense, submit your application at the City Probation Office immediately.

  1. Check in at the City Probation Office on the 2nd floor of the Public Safety Building located at 1100 West Mallon Avenue, Spokane, WA.  You will be asked to provide information about your finances to determine your eligibility for public defense.
  2. If eligible, you will be given instructions for scheduling an appointment with a City Public Defender.

Contact City Probation: (509) 622-5800
Contact City Public Defender: (509) 835-5955

Vehicle Impounds

What is an impound hearing and how does it help me get my money back?

An impound hearing is where you present your case to the judge on why you feel your vehicle was improperly impounded.  The judge hears all three parties:  the private party or law enforcement officer, the towing agency and the legal/registered owner.  When all parties have been heard, the judge will make a ruling on whether the impound was proper or improper.  If the impound was found to be improper, a court order will be entered, ordering the respondent to reimburse you for the total costs accrued up to the hearing date.  If the impound was found to be proper, you will not be reimbursed for any fees related to the impound.

How do I request an impound hearing?

If you feel that your vehicle was improperly impounded, bring the following documents to the Municipal Court Clerk’s Office during business hours:

  • Impound hearing request form, completely filled out (given to you by the towing company).
  • Receipt after redeeming the vehicle (or attempting to redeem) from the impound yard.

You must file your request within 10 calendar days of redeeming your vehicle or attempting to redeem your vehicle to receive an impound hearing with the Court.

What if my vehicle is still in impound?

You can still file for an impound hearing, but the impound fees will continue to accrue until the hearing date.  This does not get your vehicle out of impound.

What if I have a 30, 60, or 90-day hold?

If you have been cited for Driving While License Suspended 3rd Degree, you must pay all outstanding court fees, fines and penalties before the Court will authorize the towing company to release your vehicle.


Court Forms

ADA Information Sheet

ADA Request for Accommodation

ADA Sealed Medical and Health Information

Appeal Procedures

Designation of Record

Guide to Vacating and Sealing Records

Motion and Order to Waive Fees


Notice of Appeal

Records Request

Request for CD and Copies

Statement of Defendant to Mitigate Infraction

Statement of Defendant to Contest Infraction


Subpoena Instructions

Traffic Infraction Deferral Instructions

Traffic Infraction Deferral Order

Veterans Court Referral

Veterans Court Questionnaire


Fee Schedules

Fee Type Fee Amount Comments
Appeal Filing Fee $230.00 Civil (infraction)
Appeal Prep Fee $40.00 Includes electronic recording (CD)
Certified Documents $5.00 Per certification
Copy Fees $.25 Per page
CD Reproduction $20.00 Per CD
NSF Check Fees $25.00 Per check



Marriage ceremonies are performed by Judges of Spokane Municipal Court.  These ceremonies are performed outside of court business hours.  Please contact the judicial secretary at (509) 622-5867 for more information or to schedule an appointment. If you want information about obtaining a marriage license, contact the Spokane County Auditor.



What is Probation?

If you are convicted of a crime in Spokane Municipal Court, you are placed on some level of supervision to ensure your compliance with the conditions of your sentence.  This may means a probation officer regularly checks your criminal case history or it may mean you will have to meet with a probation officer on a regular basis.  “Probation” simply means that someone is monitoring your compliance with the Judge’s Order(s).

What are the different levels of supervision?

Supervision levels are typically based on the nature of the offense, treatment requirements, defendant’s criminal history and other relevant factors.

Initial face to face appointment with probation officer;
Future appointments possible, as deemed appropriate by probation;
Monthly administrative compliance checks by probation.

Periodic administrative compliance checks by probation officers.

How long will I be on Probation?

The length of your probation period depends primarily on the nature of the offense.  In making this determination, the judge will also use the same factors as those used in determining an appropriate level of supervision.  Your probation period will typically be one or two years.   If you are convicted of a DUI, this period may be as long as 5 years.

What will happen if I violate my Probation Rules?

While on probation, you are expected to make your appointments and abide by the orders of the court – the conditions of your sentence.   If you are not required to meet with probation, you are expected to abide by the conditions of your sentence.   If you fail to appear for any appointment with the probation officer of violate a rule or condition of sentence, a warrant may be issued for your arrest or you may received a summons to appear in court to answer to the allegation.


Name Indexes

By Year [with regularly scheduled updates of current year]

2000 2004 2008 2012
2001 2005 2009 2013
2002 2006 2010
2003 2007 2011


Comments are closed.